Reduced-fee water testing offered in August
WOODSTOCK – In honor of Safe Drinking Water Month, the McHenry County Department of Health will offer reduced-fee water testing for individual well water users during August. Residents can have their well water sampled for coliform bacteria and nitrate for $18.
Testing wells regularly is the only way to determine if well water is safe to drink because many contaminants are colorless and odorless. Water from a public or municipal water system is regularly tested for contaminants regulated by federal and state standards.
The health department will test water from private wells for nuisance chemicals resulting in water hardness, iron, discoloration and odor. Additional charges will apply.
Sampling kits can be picked up at health department locations in Woodstock, Crystal Lake or at one of eight drop-off centers. Samples can be dropped off for testing between 9 a.m. and noon Tuesdays at the following sites:
• Algonquin Township Office, 3702 Route 14, Crystal Lake, 847-639-2329
• Dorr Township Office, 1039 Lake Ave., Woodstock, 815-338-0125
• McHenry County Department of Health, 100 N. Virginia St., Crystal Lake, 815-459-5151
• McHenry Township Office, 3703 Richmond Road, Johnsburg, 815-385-5605
• Nunda Township Office, 3510 Bay Road, Crystal Lake, 815-459-4011
• Marengo City Hall, 134 E. Prairie St., 815-568-7112
• Harvard Police Department, 201 W. Front St., 815-943-4431
• Richmond Township Office, 7812 S. Route 31, Richmond, 815-678-0077
• Grafton Township Office, 10109 Vine St., Huntley, 847-669-3328
For information, contact the health department’s Environmental Health Division at 815-334-4585 or visit www.mcdh.info.