Take Charge Indy will run in the $200,000 Monmouth Cup on July 28, co-owner Chuck Sandford of Marengo told the Northwest Herald on Friday.
The 4-year old colt is coming off a sixth-place finish in the Stephen Foster handicap last month, but Sandford said there was no concern about the horse's health. Instead, Sandford said the race plan to try and contend with winner Fort Larned was the wrong one.
Trainer Patrick Byrne told bloodhorse.com this week that the ownership group would choose between the July 28 event at Monmouth Park in New Jersey and the Aug. 3 Whitney Invitational at Saratoga Race Course.
Take Charge Indy won the Alysheba Stakes in May before the sixth-place finish. Sandford said Friday the horse he and wife Maribeth own is ready to run. He said if there was any concern over his health, they would shut him down.
"He's fine," Sandford said. "He's as good as he always was."
How much Take Charge Indy runs, though, remains in question. The colt will stop racing this year and will stand at WinStar Farms in Kentucky upon his retirement.
After running next weekend in New Jersey, Take Charge Indy's future will be determined by Winstar's ownership group. Sandford said he will have little say in what happens next.
"He's coming to the end of the line," he said. "This may be his last race, he may run one, two, three more times. If they say he's ready to go to the shed, he will go to the shed."
Sandford said jockey Gary Stevens will ride Take Charge Indy in his next race in place of Rosie Napravnik, who rode him in the Alysheba Stakes win. The Monmouth Cup is a 1 1/16 mile course and is a Grade 2 race.
Sandford said Take Charge Indy, who has won $1,099,496 in 13 career starts, will be ready.
"He's going to run big," Sandford said."It's going to be a tough race,but he will be one of the favorites."