State

New money rejuvenates torture-claims commission

CHICAGO (AP) — A state commission examining police torture claims is being rejuvenated with a fresh injection of cash less than a year after it was set to close.

The Torture Inquiry and Relief Commission's director says Friday that the $300,000 lawmakers approved for the panel will enable it to investigate a backlog of 100 cases.

Last year, David Thomas warned the panel's financial woes meant dozens of prisoners who claimed they'd confessed under torture might never have their cases reheard.

The commission was established in 2009 in the wake of allegations that former Chicago police Lt. Jon Burge and his subordinates tortured suspects.

The $300,000 is the commission's largest-ever budget. Thomas says it'll help hire a staff attorney and investigator.

On Thursday, the commission handed five new cases to a county judge.

Loading more

Digital Access

Digital Access
Access nwherald.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more! News you use every day! Daily, weekend and Sunday packages.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Stay connected to us wherever you are! Get breaking news updates along with other area information sent to you as a text message to your wireless device.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Plan your weekend and catch up on the news with our newsletters.