Charles E. Ambler was born in Chicago in 1872, arrived in Chemung in 1906, lived therefor 47 years and was the proprietor of the general store. He first formed a partnershipwith Jim Westerman and Clinton Carr to establish the store, and later became the soleowner. The store is the nearest building in this early 1900s photo.
Chemung was established as a town in 1844. At its height of development it had four drygoods stores, a drugstore, a blacksmith store and a wagon shop. When the railroadmoved its base of operations to Harvard, the town’s rapid growth came to an end.
The Ambler store also served as the post office. Charles Ambler was postmaster from 1907 to 1942. When the post office was closed in 1943, Ambler mailed a post card tohimself. It read “This is the last piece of mail postmarked at this office.”