Our view: New school year set to begin
Summer doesn’t officially end until Sept. 22.
But summer vacation is over for thousands of area children beginning this week, when school starts in a few local districts.
Students at McHenry High School Districts 15 and 156 start Monday. At Carpentersville District 300, students return Wednesday. And the first day of classes at Woodstock District 200 is Thursday.
The following week, students at Alden-Hebron District 19, Fox River Grove District 3, Harvard District 50, Huntley District 158, Johnsburg District 12, Marengo High School District 154, Marengo-Union District 165, Nippersink District 2, Prairie Grove District 46, Richmond-Burton High School District 157 and Riley District 18 all return.
The remaining McHenry County school districts fall in line shortly after that.
The new school year can be an exciting – but sometimes anxious – time for children. New teachers. New classmates and friends. New things to learn. New daily routines.
Parents can help their school-aged children transition more smoothly into the new school year by following a few tips:
• Help them get organized. Clear up a work-space at home that is quiet where they can do homework and other school assignments.
• Talk to them each day about how their school day went, and what they learned. Review their homework assignments with them and make sure they completed those assignments at the end of each day. Depending on the child’s age, review the homework with them.
• Prepare for the next school day the night before so the morning is less rushed. Have backpacks packed; lunches made and in the refrigerator; discuss the next day’s schedule in case there are any special activities planned.
• Make sure children are getting enough sleep by adjusting their nightly bedtimes.
• Communicate with your child’s teacher. Most have email addresses where you can write to check on progress, ask questions, or discuss concerns. Also, plan ahead so you can make parent-teacher conferences.
Let’s help make the 2013-14 school year a great one for our children.