WOODSTOCK – The restoration and expansion of the Woodstock Theatre, 209 Main St., has entered its second phase of construction with the uncovering of the original dome.
John C. Miller built the domed theater in 1927, when it was known as The Miller Theatre.
Downers Grove-based Classic Cinemas is more than doubling the seating capacity of the historical theater as part of a $6 million expansion.
The family-owned company plans to spend about $4.8 million on construction and more than $1 million on the latest theater equipment, including some 3-D screens.
Officials at Classic Cinemas expect to complete the entire project in December. The six new screens, added earlier this year, are open.
Updates on the construction process are available at www.classiccinemas.com by visiting the Woodstock Theatre page. Updates also can be found on the Woodstock Theatre Facebook page at www.facebook.com/woodstocktheatre.classiccinemas.
Classic Cinemas, a division of Tivoli Enterprises Inc., operates 13 theaters with 100 screens in northern Illinois.