McHENRY – The McHenry Public Library, 809 N. Front St., plans a variety of programs and events for the first half of September.
Registration is required unless otherwise noted. For the full lineup of events, visit the library's Events Calendar on www.mchenrylibrary.org.
• MAGIC: The Gathering: 5:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesday. This is a casual play tournament that includes prizes. All attendees will receive a foil card (while supplies last). Participants should bring their own deck. The event is for those ages 11 and older.
• Fall Bulbs for Spring Flowers: 7-8:30 p.m. Sept. 4. The focus of this presentation is on selecting, planting and caring for spring bulbs. Participants will learn about a number of bulbs from old favorites to some of the less well-known bulbs. It is for ages 18 and older.
• History Book Discussion Group: 7:30 p.m. Sept. 5. The group will discuss "Giant in the Shadows: the Life of Robert T. Lincoln" by Jason Emerson. The book is available at the Checkout Desk. For ages 18 and older. No registration is required.
• ACT Practice Test: 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Sept. 7. A fully proctored free practice ACT test, presented by Kaplan Test Prep, will show students what to expect on test day. Students must bring No. 2 pencils and approved calculator. For students in grades nine to 12.
• Movies @ Your Library: Family Movie & Sing Along – "Wizard of Oz." 1 to 3 p.m. Sept. 8. Song lyrics and treats provided for adults and children (over age 8). No registration is required.
• Spending Time with My Grandparents: 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. Sept. 8. Hear stories, make crafts and take a quiz to learn about grandparents. Both child and grandparent(s) must register. For ages 3-6.
• Contemporary Book Discussion Group: 7 p.m. Sept. 9. The group will talk about "Round Robin" by Jennifer Chiaverini. The book is available at the Checkout Desk. For ages 18 and up. No registration is required.
• Vegetarian or Vegan -- Are They for You?: 7 to 8:30 p.m. Sept. 10. Learn about vegetarian and vegan eating plans, how to incorporate them into one's lifestyle, and the health benefits associated with them. For ages 18 and older.
• Lego Club Family Drop-In: 3:30 to 5 p.m. Sept. 11. Families can drop by to build a fantasy creation that will be displayed in the library. No registration is needed.
• Page Turners: 10 to 11 a.m. Sept. 14. The group will discuss "The Rendering: The CyberSkunk Files" by Joel Naftali. Pick up a free book (provided by the Friends of the Library) when registering. For grades 4-8.
• Book Snoops: 2 to 3 p.m. Sept. 14. The group will talk about dinosaurs as it investigates books, crafts and other fun activities. For grades one through three.
For information, visit www.mchenrylibrary.org or call 815-385-0036.