Civil rights activist kicks off Latino Heritage Month at ECC
ELGIN – An appearance by labor leader and civil rights activist Delores Huerta will kick off activities for Elgin Community College’s celebration of Latino Heritage Month in September and October.
The month recognizes the contributions made by Latinos while creating a respectful dialogue about important issues in the Latino community.
Huerta will be the keynote speaker during the 24th annual Latino Heritage Month kickoff breakfast from 8 to 10 a.m. Sept. 12 in the Building E University and Business Center dining room on the Spartan Drive Campus, 1700 Spartan Drive, Elgin.
She also will participate in an open forum that day from noon to 1:30 p.m. in the Building G Spartan Auditorium.
Tickets to the breakfast are $15 for adults and $12 for students. Reservations are required and tickets can be bought online at www.eventbrite.com/event/6194585171/eivtefrnd.
Other events are free and open to the public unless noted.
• Agua frescas sale: 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sept. 18 in the Building B Hallway near the cafeteria. The cost is $1.50 each.
• OLAS (Organization of Latino American Students) member meeting: Learn about OLAS. All ECC students are welcome to attend. Noon to 1 p.m. Sept. 19 in the Building B Alumni Room, Room B182.
• Arte Ambulante Educational: Stop by and get some hands-on art experience with help from the Museum of Mexican Art of Chicago. Noon to 1 p.m. Sept. 23 in the Building B Heritage Room, Room B180. The event is free to the first 40 ECC students.
• 8-hour service challenge: Participate in a challenging community service scavenger hunt. Pick up an information packet from the Student Life Office. Event runs from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sept. 24 in the Building B Hallway outside the Student Life Office.
• Tamale fundraiser: 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sept. 25 in the Building B hallway near the cafeteria. The cost is $2 each.
• Latino Diaries: Listen to performer Michael Reyes as he pushes the limits of poetry and hip-hop. 11 a.m. to noon Sept. 26 in the Building G Spartan Auditorium.
• CAPRE (Chicago Afro-Puerto Rican Ensemble) musical performance: 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. Sept. 26 in Building B, Jobe Lounge.
• Ballet Folklorico Huchuecoyotl: Experience traditional dances that reflect the polka influences brought by European immigrants to Northern Mexico during the 18th century. 7:30 to 10 p.m. Sept. 28 in the Building H Arts Center, Blizzard Theatre. The cost is $20 for adults, $17 for seniors and $12 for children ages 10 and younger. Visit elgin.edu/arts to buy tickets.
• Movie in the Library: “The Milagro Beanfield War”: The film tells the story of one man’s struggle as he defends his small beanfield and his community against much larger business and political interests. Popcorn and beverages will be served. 2:30 p.m. Oct. 2 in the Building C Library, Room C120.
• Projecto 7 musical performance: 1 to 2 p.m. Oct. 3 in the Building B Jobe Lounge.
• ECC’s Got Talent: ECC students and others showcase their talents to win a grand prize in this competition based on the popular TV show. 6 to 9 p.m. Oct. 4 in the Building G Spartan Auditorium. The cost is $5 a person.
• DJEMBE (Drummers Joined in an Educational Movement through Beats and Entertainment) musical performance: Noon to 1 p.m. Oct. 7 in the Building B Jobe Lounge.
• Elote fundraiser: 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Oct. 9 in the Building B hallway in front of the cafeteria. The cost is $2 each.
• Latin Comedy Hour: Comedian Javi DeLeon will perform from noon to 1 p.m. Oct. 10 in the Building B, Jobe Lounge.
• Hispanic Heritage Month celebration: 2 to 5 p.m. Oct. 12 in the Gail Borden Public Library, 270 N. Grove Ave., Elgin.
• Lizz Wright and Raul Midón: Join these two legends for a night of contemporary spirituals that span the genres of jazz, R&B, soul and gospel. 7:30 p.m. Oct. 26 in the Building H Arts Center, Blizzard Theatre. Tickets cost $34. Visit elgin.edu/arts to buy tickets.
Events are sponsored by the Latino Heritage Month Committee, OLAS, the Office of Student Life, Division of Sustainability, Safety and Career Technologies, MAGIC, GIST, Humanities Center and Library.
For information about Latino Heritage Month, contact the Student Life Office at 847-214-7425.