Historical society art contest deadline nears
UNION – The entry deadline for the McHenry County Historical Society’s 50th anniversary juried art competition is approaching.
Online entries are due Sept. 15 for “The Face of McHenry County.” Artists are invited to use their creativity and ingenuity to determine what this “face” is, but entries must be related to McHenry County. Additional weight will be given to images representing historically significant buildings, structures and landscapes.
The contest rules are as follows:
• Up to three works may be submitted digitally. The entry fee is $35.
• Entries will be limited to two-dimensional paintings, drawings or watercolors.
• Maximum overall size is 24 inches by 36 inches, including mat or frame.
• Glassless or Plexiglass framing only, for safety.
• Submissions will be judged by Lynn Carlson, a well-known art appraiser, consultant and curator from Crystal Lake.
• Artists will be notified regarding acceptance by Oct. 1.
• Art will be displayed and sold, via a silent auction, at the society’s 50th Anniversary Dinner on Nov. 2 at the Starline Factory in Harvard.
• Artists may specify a reserve (minimum) auction price.
• Half of the proceeds from the auctioned painting will be paid to the artist, with the remaining half benefiting the McHenry County Historical Society.
Prizes will be awarded for first, second and third place. The awards are $250, $100 and $50, respectively.
For information, visit www.mchsonline.org/face.