HUNTLEY – A gas leak near a Huntley assisted living center on Thursday left some residents without a home for a few hours.
Air quality monitoring within the center determined it should be evacuated, according to a release from Huntley Fire & Rescue.
Residents and staff at Heritage Woods of Huntley, located at 12450 Regency Parkway, were moved to the nearby Huntley Fire Station 3 and then shuttled by ambulances and buses to Huntley Village Hall as a precaution. A construction crew erecting a light pole struck a gas line at around 9 a.m. on Thursday.
Nicor stopped the gas leak at about 10 a.m., the release said.
In all, 78 residents, 25 employees, 3 cats and a dog were evacuated and taken to Village Hall.
Nursing supervisor Susan Wrzeszcz was impressed with the response from Huntley firefighters.
"They were all pretty calm," she said. "There was no one freaking out."
This was the first large-scale evacuation for the facility.
"It went pretty smoothly," said Jesse Perez, food coordinator at Heritage Woods.
A nearby business with about 20 employees was also evacuated, and Regency Parkway and Farm Hill Drive were closed for several hours.
Both buildings were ventilated and residents returned to their homes and places of work at about 11:10 a.m.
Crews from 19 area departments assisted with the incident. Five fire engines, one truck, 12 ambulances, a District 158 school bus, and a Grafton Township bus and vans were use in the process.
— Lawerence Synett, Jim Dallke and Shawn Shinneman