Digital Access

Digital Access
Access nwherald.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more! News you use every day! Daily, weekend and Sunday packages.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Stay connected to us wherever you are! Get breaking news updates along with other area information sent to you as a text message to your wireless device.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Plan your weekend and catch up on the news with our newsletters.
Local

December trial date set for alleged rapist

WOODSTOCK – A December trial date has been set for a man accused of raping women he met through Craigslist and other websites.


Charles R. Oliver, 45, of Woodstock is facing multiple counts of aggravated criminal sexual assault, kidnapping and unlawful restraint. Prosecutors have said he tied up women – many of whom were escorts or prostitutes – beat them and forced them to have sex with him.


Oliver has pleaded not guilty to the charges.


On Friday, a jury trial was scheduled for Dec. 9.


There are seven cases pending against Oliver that as of now will be tried separately.


Many of the alleged sex acts were recorded on video, and prosecutors say they do not appear consensual. But Oliver's defense attorney says the women didn't have injuries consistent with sexual assault. After the encounters, prosecutors said Oliver threatened to shame, kill or rape the women.


Earlier this week, new charges were filed after a sixth woman came forward alleging that she, too had been sexually assaulted by Oliver.


He also is charged with harassing the boyfriend of one of the alleged victims.


If found guilty, Oliver could face between 95 and 120 years in prison.


He remains in McHenry County Jail in lieu of $3.5 million bond.

Loading more