CRYSTAL LAKE – McHenry County College’s Continuing Education Department offers classes including acrylic/oil painting, watercolors, one-stroke, nature drawing and metal art sculpture.
• Acrylic/Oil Painting: Beginners or those who haven’t picked up a brush in years can learn or refresh the basics of oil paint application and technique on canvas. Required supplies are one set of oil paint tubes, two long-handled brushes (any size), one 9-inch-by-12-inch pre-stretched canvas, newspaper and painting smock/shirt. Other supplies will be discussed in class. Acrylic painters are welcome. The class takes place from 1 to 3:30 p.m. Fridays, Sept. 6 through Oct. 4, in Room D158 at the college, 8900 Route 14, Crystal Lake. The cost is $85. Use course ID: NFA S67 009 when registering.
• Basic and Intermediate Watercolors: Learn the basics of using watercolors. Bring any size brushes and be prepared to paint. A supply list will be discussed at the first class. This course meets from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Saturdays, Sept. 7 through Oct. 5, in Room D158. The cost is $85. Use course ID: NFA S75 010 when registering.
• Tuscan Bliss Painted Masterpiece: This new pattern from onestroke.com will be the class focus. Painting will be done on an 11-by-14-inch canvas. No experience necessary. Bring One Stroke brushes if you have them. The class takes place from 6:30 to 9 p.m. Sept. 24 in Room D158. The cost is $45. Use course ID: NFA S04 009 when registering.
• Draw Nature: Learn to draw detailed plants and animals from photo reference. Students will follow along with instructor demos, then choose their own subject to draw with instructor assistance. The class takes place from 10 a.m. to noon Wednesdays, Oct. 5 through Oct. 26, in Room D152. The cost is $85. Use course ID: NFA S57 010 when registering.
• Metal Art Sculpture: Students will be taught how to safely and efficiently operate an arc and mig welder, oxy/acetylene cutting torch and plasma cutter. Students need to wear long pants, long-sleeved shirts and no open-toed or canvas shoes. (Work boots are recommended.) The class takes place from 1:30 to 5 p.m. Saturdays, Oct. 12 through Nov 9, at the Woodstock Center. The cost is $249. Use course ID: NFA S49 010 when registering.
To register, call the MCC Registration Office at 815-455-8588. For information, call Tracy Berry at 815-455-8758 or Claudia Terrones at 815-455-8782.