MCC offers enrichment classes in Huntley
HUNTLEY – This fall, McHenry County College’s Continuing Education Department continues to partner with the Huntley Park District to offer a variety of personal enrichment classes, including crafting, selling crafts online, voiceover training, social security preparation and women’s self-defense.
Classes are offered at the Huntley Park District Recreation Center, 12015 Mill St. in Huntley.
• Twisted Crystal Bracelet: Students will learn how to string 4 mm crystals and bead them into a twisted pattern. Supplies needed include scissors and 4 mm bicone crystals between one to four colors, totaling about 150 pieces. All other supplies will be included. The class will be from 6:30 to 9 p.m. Thursday. The cost is $39. Use course ID: NCF S62 011 to register.
• Quilt Tips and Tricks: Learn foolproof methods for making triangle units, flying geese, superfast four-patch blocks and more. This class is for beginning quilters looking to expand their quilting skills and gain more confidence. A supply list will be mailed a week before class. Students are required to bring their own portable sewing machine.
The class will be from 7 to 9:30 p.m. Oct. 3. The cost is $25. Use course ID: NCF S90 010 to register.
• Autumn Splendor Table Runner: Easy piecing techniques are used to make the table runner base. The pumpkins and leaves are done using raw edges appliqué techniques. This class is for the confident beginner who has made one quilt project. A supply list will be mailed a week before class. Students are required to bring their own portable sewing machine.
The class will be from 7 to 9 p.m. Oct. 8 through Oct. 22. The cost is $59. Use course ID: NCF S55 010 to register.
• All About Etsy: The instructor will guide students on how to set up their online shop with photos, a profile and a shop banner. In the first class, students will acquire an Etsy account and decide on their marketing plan; in the second class, students will set up their shop. Bring photos on a flash drive and learn how to crop, color-correct and add the photos to sites.
The class will be from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Oct. 29 and Nov. 5. The cost is $59. Use course ID: NPC S06 011 to register.
• Introductions to Voiceovers: Fun, empowering introductory workshop covering the types of voiceovers and what tools are needed to find success. Students will be coached and receive a professional voiceover evaluation later. Students will have the knowledge necessary to help them decide whether this is something they’d like to pursue. The instructor is a professional voice actor from Voices For All, a voice acting training company.
The class will be from 2 to 4 p.m. Nov. 8. The cost is $49. Use course ID: NBR S06 012 to register.
• Social Security: Seven Keys to Optimizing Your Benefits: Social Security continues to play a critical role in a retirement strategy. Finding out when to start taking benefits is one of the keys to understanding the basics of Social Security. During this program, participants will consider their retirement options, including working in retirement. The class will be from 7 to 9 p.m. Nov. 13. The cost is $25. Use course ID: NFM S39 011 to register.
• Women’s Self-Defense: Topics include myths of self-defense, verbalization, the body as a self-defense tool, pressure points and assault awareness/resistance measures. The class includes an hour lecture and then an hour of hands-on technique lessons.
The class will meet from 7 to 9 p.m. Nov. 5 and costs $15. Use course ID NPL S14 013 when registering.
To register, call the MCC Registration Office at 815-455-8588. For information, call Tracy Berry at 815-455-8758 or Dori Sullens at 815-455-8559.