Bates: Mixers are the place to meet business leaders
The McHenry Area Chamber of Commerce is pleased to honor 10 extraordinary people who have contributed much to communities through work accomplishments, volunteerism and mentoring.
Those honored include Bill Bolger, Betty Davis, Robert Doran, Frances Larsen, Ruthanne Kee, Ruby Lounder, Catherine “Kitty” Nash, Dr. Santo Ruggero, Syl Schubert and Judithann Wett. These McHenry County distinguished residents will receive awards at the “Chapters: Stories of the Wise, Witty & Wonderful” luncheon Oct. 18 at McHenry Country Club. Entertainment will be provided by Mary Ellen Heelan of Heelan Music and Joy Aavang, who will share her story of “A Lost Adolescence: Surviving the Blitz.”
Advocate Good Shepherd Hospital and Rosecrance Health Network (wise), Heritage Woods of McHenry (witty) and the Chamber’s RISE Group (wonderful) are sponsoring the event.
Register by calling 815-385-4300 or visiting www.mchenrychamber.com.
We encourage all to acknowledge these incredible people who have made our lives richer.
• The McHenry Area Chamber is inviting nominations of individuals and organizations for a “Red Carpet Award.” A luncheon sponsored by Porte Brown LLC is prepared for these nominees acknowledging diligence, leadership and service in 10 categories.
Forms and details are available at the Chamber’s website. There will be three finalists recognized at the Red Carpet Awards Luncheon with one winner in each category. The luncheon will be 11:45 a.m. to 1:15 p.m Nov. 13 at 31 North.
• The McHenry Area Chamber of Commerce’s Marketing Connection Referral Groups are hosting their Fall Networking Scramble Nov. 1 at McHenry Country Club. Business showcase and registration is 11 to 11:45 a.m. and the lunch scramble is 11:45 a.m. to 2:15 p.m.
Sponsored by Porte Brown LLC, the event is a structured progressive networking luncheon whereby representatives from growth-oriented businesses have the opportunity to introduce their organizations to 30 non competing businesses. Attendees move from table to table for each course. A facilitator is at each table asking questions designed to feature each business at its best. All attendees receive a list of participants.
• The cost is $25 for members and $40 for nonmembers. Invite a business that is not currently a McHenry Area Chamber member and both can attend for $20. All are welcome to provide items for the goody bag. Register at www.mchenryscramble.com.
• Tonight’s mixer is at McHenry Harley. The next is JourneyCare’s joint chamber mixer.
• People often ask “How do I meet owners of organizations?” My answer is simple, “Go to the mixers.”
The next Never Eat Alone luncheon is Oct. 11 at Green Peapod. Never Eat Alone luncheons are specially priced for chamber members including lunch, beverage and tip allowing networkers to do what they do best while supporting a local restaurant.
On Oct. 29, new restaurant Sushi King is inviting chamber members and their guests to a buffet dinner for $15.95 a person including beverage. Those who plan to attend must register with the Chamber at 815-385-4300 to reserve a place.
The McHenry NOW mobile app is hosting a workshop for those interested in advertising locally to area residents on the go. The McHenry NOW mobile app has lots of new features including post card mailings, free texting and video, plus online coupons. The workshop is at 9 a.m. Oct. 16 at the Chamber office, 1257 N. Green St., McHenry.
• Kay Bates is executive director of the McHenry Area Chamber of Commerce.