Work crews are trying to put the finishing touches on projects set to wrap up this year with the end of construction weather, but a rainy week has delayed some work.
• JOHNSBURG ROAD: Paving began over the weekend on the north lane of Johnsburg Road, but new sidewalks and landscaping was pushed into the coming week because of bad weather.
Only westbound traffic is allowed to travel along the road from Chapel Hill Road to Cherokee Drive as work continues. Eastbound traffic is being rerouted through a Route 31, Route 120, Chapel Hill Road detour.
• ALGONQUIN WESTERN BYPASS: Be ready for periodic lane closures between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. as workers set the bridge beams for the new Route 31 bridge over Algonquin Road.
The bridge is part of a $33 million project to build a 2-mile, four-lane highway west of downtown Algonquin to relieve congestion on Route 31. The work is expected to be finished in fall 2014.
Huntington Drive will remain closed between Circle Drive and South Main Street through next summer. A detour to Edgewood Drive is posted.
• ROUTES 31 AND 176: Work continues on improvements to the intersection of Routes 31 and 176 in Crystal Lake. Traffic slows to a crawl during peak hours, so take an alternate route if you can.
• I-90 INTERCHANGE: Work is expected to wrap up by the end of the year to convert the Interstate 90 and Route 47 intersection into a full interchange.
As of last week, westbound I-90 traffic exiting to Route 47, and Route 47 traffic entering I-90 eastbound, have been shifted to new ramps.
• ELSEWHERE ON I-90: Traffic shifts are scheduled through the month to put I-90 traffic onto eastbound lanes so that work can begin next year on the westbound lanes.
Shifts are taking place at the Marengo Toll Plaza, a 5-mile stretch near Elgin and a 7-mile stretch near Belvidere.
The new lanes are part of a $2.2 billion rebuilding and widening project between Rockford and Elgin, the first phase of which is wrapping up this construction season. Westbound lanes will be widened next year, and the process will be repeated in 2015 and 2016 for I-90 between Elgin and Chicago.
• READ ALL ABOUT IT: You can sign up at NWHerald.com/newsletter to get a weekly email update on road projects throughout construction season. You also can find updates online at NWHerald.com/construction.
Sources: McHenry County Division of Transportation, Village of Algonquin, Illinois Department of Transportation, Illinois Toll Highway Authority.