Lake in the Hills fire displaces three families

Published: Friday, Oct. 18, 2013 5:04 p.m. CDT • Updated: Friday, Oct. 18, 2013 11:51 p.m. CDT

LAKE IN THE HILLS – Three families were displaced because of a kitchen fire in a two-story apartment building Thursday evening.

The Algonquin-Lake in the Hills Fire Protection District responded at 7:45 p.m. Thursday to 1311 Cunat Court, Lake in the Hills, after a fire alarm system was activated at the apartment building, according to a news release.

Firefighters found a fire contained to the kitchen of one of the units by an automatic sprinkler system.

Three families were displaced due to water damage but were able to stay with family members. No injuries were reported.

The fire was caused by cooking, the release said. An estimated $40,000 worth of damage was caused.

Fire departments from Crystal Lake, Carpentersville and Huntley assisted.

– Emily K. Coleman

More News

Reader Poll

What's your favorite Easter candy?
Chocolate Easter bunny
Creme eggs
Jelly beans
Peeps
Other