We start this week with the wrapping up of the widening of the Charles Miller Road bridge to two, two-lane spans:
• CHARLES MILLER ROAD: Work on the first phase of the Miller Road and bridge widening is finishing up. The new two-lane bridge span is finished, all lanes are open to traffic and the traffic light at Miller and River roads is operational.
Pavement markings are being finished this weekend, and no lane closures or delays are expected until the week of Nov. 4.
The second phase, set to start next year, widens Miller Road west to Route 31 and improves the intersection of Miller Road, Route 31 and Bull Valley Road.
• JOHNSBURG ROAD: Paving will continue into this week, along with striping and landscaping work. The new traffic signals at Spring Grove Road and Riverside Drive are scheduled to be activated next month.
The ongoing project will create a two-way continuous left lane in the middle of the road between Route 31 and Chapel Hill Road, and a roundabout where Johnsburg Road, St. Johns Avenue and Chapel Hill Road meet. The improvement project is about 90 percent finished.
• ALGONQUIN WESTERN BYPASS: Watch for workers and delays as workers continue a $33 million project to build a 2-mile, four-lane highway west of downtown Algonquin to relieve congestion on Route 31.
Huntington Drive will remain closed between Circle Drive and South Main Street through summer 2014. A detour to Edgewood Drive is posted.
• I-90 INTERCHANGE: Work is expected to wrap up by the end of the year to convert the Interstate 90 and Route 47 intersection into a full interchange.
Most recently, westbound I-90 traffic exiting to Route 47, and Route 47 traffic entering I-90 eastbound, have been shifted to new ramps.
• ELSEWHERE ON I-90: Traffic shifts are scheduled through the month to put I-90 traffic onto eastbound lanes so that work can begin next year on the westbound lanes.
Shifts are taking place at the Marengo Toll Plaza, a 5-mile stretch near Elgin and a 7-mile stretch near Belvidere.
The new lanes are part of a $2.2 billion rebuilding and widening project between Rockford and Elgin, the first phase of which is wrapping up this construction season. Westbound lanes will be widened next year, and the process will be repeated in 2015 and 2016 for I-90 between Elgin and Chicago.
• READ ALL ABOUT IT: You can sign up at NWHerald.com/newsletter to get a weekly email update on road projects throughout construction season. You also can find updates online at NWHerald.com/construction.
Sources: McHenry County Division of Transportation, Village of Algonquin, Illinois Department of Transportation, Illinois Toll Highway Authority.