• 9 a.m. – Breakfast and Veterans Day recognition program, Marlowe Middle School, 9625 Haligus Road, Lake in the Hills. All District 158 area veterans and spouses invited. Hosted by the staff and students at Marlowe Middle School. Registration and information: 847-659-4700.
• 9 a.m. – Veterans Day program honoring veterans and their families, at Crystal Lake South High School Gymnasium, 1200 S. McHenry Ave., Crystal Lake. More than 500 local military veterans have been invited. The event will include speeches from state Rep. Mike Tryon and Secretary of State Jesse White. Information: 815-455-3860, ext. 3300.
• 9 to 10:30 a.m. – Veterans Day assembly, sixth annual, Marengo Community High School Gymnasium, 110 Franks Road, Marengo. Area veterans, past and present, will be honored. Keynote speaker is Errol R. Alden. All veterans and community members invited to attend. Hosted by Marengo-area schools. Information: 815-568-6511 or watch the ceremony live on www.ihsa.tv/marengo.
• 9 to 10:45 a.m. – Free hot buffet breakfast for veterans, American Legion Post 673, 11712 Coral St., Huntley. Brief ceremony and screening of “Saving Private Ryan” will follow breakfast. Hosted by the Post 673 Auxiliary. Free to veterans, a free will offering for nonveterans. Information: 847-669-2636.
• 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. – Open house and Veterans Affairs burial benefits seminar, McHenry County Memorial Park, 11301 Lake Ave., Woodstock. Learn about services provided by the VA. Veterans and their families are invited. Seminars scheduled every hour. Free. Registration and information: 815-338-1320.
• 11 a.m. – Veterans Day ceremony, VFW Post 5040 parking lot, 240 N. Throop St., Woodstock. Ham luncheon immediately following the ceremony. Serving to 1 p.m. Open to the public. Cost $7. Information: 815-338-5040.
• Noon to 2 p.m. – Gifts and goodies for veterans and service members, Woodstock Free Methodist Church, 934 N. Seminary Ave., Woodstock. Information: 815-338-3180 or www.bootsandbible.info.
• 1 to 2 p.m. – Veterans Day celebration, Advocate Good Shepherd Hospital Lakeview Room, 450 W. Highway 22, Barrington. Honor Guard, Pledge of Allegiance, patriotic music, veteran slide show, refreshments. Share stories and network with veterans and community members. Free. Information: 847-381-9600.
• 1:30 p.m. – Veterans Day ceremony, Richmond-Burton Community High School, 8311 N. Route 31, Richmond. Local veterans and immediate families are invited. Refreshments. Registration and information: 815-678-7563.
• 10:30 a.m. – Senior Services’ Veterans Day tribute, McHenry Township Recreation Center, 3519 N. Richmond Road, McHenry. Presentation by Andy Balafas, Veterans Community Liaison with Vitas Hospice Care, patriotic sing-along, cake and coffee. Free. Registration and information: 815-344-3555.