As Detour winds down for a long winter’s nap – until construction season starts again next spring – we will run down a list of some recently finished road and mass transit projects:
• HUNTLEY INTERCHANGE: Officials cut the ribbon on Friday on the completed full interchange at Interstate 90 and Route 47.
The $61 million project gives Route 47 near Huntley access to both eastbound and westbound traffic on I-90. The project is the first to be finished under the Illinois Toll Highway Authority’s $12 billion “Move Illinois” infrastructure program.
• FOX RIVER GROVE: The village dedicated its completed $3.5 million improvement of its Metra station, which features an expanded platform and a larger warming shelter that includes vendor space and restrooms.
The project had created delays on Route 14 because of occasional eastbound lane closures.
• ROUTE 14 IN CRYSTAL LAKE: Expect intermittent lane closures during daylight hours over the next several weeks as workers reinstall decorative street light arms along Route 14 between Carpenter Street and Coventry Lane.
• JOHNSBURG ROAD: Johnsburg Road has been reopened to two-way traffic between Route 31 and Chapel Hill Road. Construction work is expected to continue along the road through the month, and road signal installation is continuing, so expect occasional daytime lane closures and observe posted construction speed limits.
• PARK AND RIDE: McHenry County’s first park-and-ride lot opened at Route 31 and Virginia Road in Lake in the Hills. The 105-space lot, which includes a bike rack, gives carpooling residents a place to meet and park rather than using parking lots for shopping centers and other locations.
• 2040 LONG-RANGE PLAN: The McHenry County Division of Transportation has released its draft plan to prioritize large-scale road and mass transit projects for the next 25 years, and is seeking public comment. You can find the plan online at www.2040mchenrycountyplan.org. The next public hearing is scheduled for 3 to 7 p.m. Tuesday at Harvard Diggins Library, 900 E. McKinley St.
• READ ALL ABOUT IT: You can sign up at NWHerald.com/newsletter to get a weekly email update on road projects throughout construction season. You also can find updates online at NWHerald.com/construction.
Sources: Illinois Toll Highway Authority, Village of Huntley, Metra, Village of Fox River Grove, City of Crystal Lake, McHenry County Division of Transportation.