Fireplace sparks McHenry house fire

McHENRY – An operating fireplace caused the wall of a McHenry home to catch on fire Monday.

The McHenry Township Fire Protection District responded to a call at 11:21 a.m. for a structure fire at 5025 W. Flanders Road in unincorporated McHenry. Emergency crews found light smoke coming from the house when they arrived.

Crews responded within six minutes. The fire was under control within about 15 minutes of the original call, according to a press release from the Mchenry Township Fire Protection District.

The district investigated the fire and found that it started inside a wall above the fireplace, the release said.

–Shawn Shinneman