McHENRY — Working smoke detectors helped a McHenry family evacuate their home safely Tuesday morning during a small fire, according to the McHenry Township Fire Protection District.
Firefighters were called to a home in the 4500 block of Loyola Drive at around 1:20 a.m. Tuesday for a report of smoke in a residence, according to a news release. Crews arrived to find smoke coming from a home in that area.
Four residents had evacuated the home prior to the fire department’s arrival, the news release states. Crews later located a small fire in a second-floor bedroom that was already extinguished.
Thermal imaging confirmed the fire had not spread anywhere in the home, and the residence was ventilated with the use of a smoke ejector, according to fire officials.
The fire was deemed accidental from a malfunctioning humidifier.
No one was injured during the incident.
— Lawerence Synett