Did you know more fresh Christmas trees are harvested in McHenry County than anywhere else in Illinois, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture? If your family has never cut their own tree, make this the year you begin a new family tradition.
Visit the large 75-acre Richardson Adventure Farm with its tractor-pulled wagon rides, fresh donuts, hot cocoa and kettle corn and make your own wreaths or try the smaller farm where you can cut your tree and hit the road.
Perhaps you wish to ride in a horse-drawn wagon, mingle with Mrs. Claus and munch on the famous cinnamon rolls of Oney’s Tree Farm.
Are you looking for an organically-grown and hand-pruned tree? McHenry County has all of that and more. There is a perfect tree for every family just waiting to be found. Pile your family into the car, crank up the Christmas tunes and head out to the tree farm of your choice. How could you not fall into the holiday spirit? Most farms are open until a day or two before Christmas, they all provide saws, will shake and bale your tree and help you secure it for the ride home.
Enjoy Winter Harvest Fest at Grace Farm Studios on Saturdays for “Family-Farmed Foods, Firs and Fiber!” You will discover seasonal, naturally grown farm products and handmade goods; one-of-a-kind treasures and gifts for your winter celebration. Pre-cut and live Ohana Farms Christmas Trees, evergreen roping, wreaths, centerpieces and bundles also can be found at this Winter Harvest Fest every Saturday before Christmas.
There are trees to be found from one end of the county to the other:
• Pine-Apple Acres Tree Farm, 309 Three Oaks Road, Cary
• Ben’s Christmas Tree Farm, 7719 Ryan Road and 16324 Capron Road, Harvard
• Pioneer Tree Farm, 4614 Pioneer Road, McHenry
• Bill’s Friendly Evergreen Tree Farm, 3102 W. Miller Road, Spring Grove
• Richardson Adventure Farm, 9407 Richardson Road, Spring Grove
• Cal & Shan’s Christmas Tree Farm, 14216 Thayer Road and 2509 Lily Pond Road, Woodstock
• Grace Farm Studios, 2719 Franklinville Road, Woodstock
• Grandpa’s Christmas Tree Farm, 13616 Route 176, Woodstock
• Oney’s Tree Farm, 16608 Route 14, Woodstock
Remember to experience McHenry County first. Stay close to home to enjoy the sights, sounds, scents and tastes of the season right here in McHenry County. Our hometown communities are dressed in their finest and ready to welcome you.
• • •
Please join us as we celebrate the season and toast our 2013 tourism successes. Mix and mingle with our partners and learn more about how tourism benefits you at our Holiday Celebration from 5 to 7 p.m. Dec. 16. Call us at 815-893-6280 to reserve your ticket. Space is limited, so call soon.
For information on the activities mentioned above or to learn more about the sales and marketing efforts of the McHenry County Convention and Visitors Bureau, give me a call. Request our 2013/2014 McHenry County Visitor Guides at www.visitmchenrycounty.com.
Happy holidays and all the best for a healthy and successful New Year from the McHenry County Convention & Visitors Bureau.
• Jaki Berggren is executive director of the McHenry County Convention and Visitors Bureau.