CHICAGO – Cook County judges say they will resentence some inmates after a newspaper reported hundreds of violent felons were being sentenced to a boot camp meant for non-violent offenders.
The Chicago Sun-Times first reported last month that some violent offenders were being sentenced to the program despite a state law that says they aren't eligible. On Monday the paper reported judges informed the sheriff's office that they intend to resentence four inmates who were originally sentenced to boot camp.
The decision follows a letter from Sheriff Tom Dart asking to confirm if 52 inmates sentenced to boot camp are eligible. A Dart adviser says the judges have determined that eight other inmates were sentenced properly, but the sheriff is waiting to hear what they say about the rest.