Overcast
35°FOvercastFull Forecast

12 sickened after carbon monoxide leak in Skokie

Published: Thursday, Dec. 19, 2013 11:54 p.m. CST

SKOKIE – Twelve people have been hospitalized after a carbon monoxide leak at an apartment building in Skokie.

Police in the Chicago suburb say a resident called 911 around 2:30 a.m. Thursday and reported feeling ill.

Responding emergency officials detected high levels of carbon monoxide. Firefighters had to break into some apartments to help residents get out.

The conditions of those taken to hospitals were not immediately known.

Capt. Steven Ludkowski of the Skokie Fire Department says it is not yet clear what caused the high levels of carbon monoxide.

He reminded the public to be sure their carbon monoxide detectors are working and to have their furnaces checked.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Northwest Herald.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Reader Poll

If you had only one day to live, what would you do with it?
Learn to play the piano
Take up ice sculpting
Learn to speak French
Win over the love of a small town
Other