Fire damages apartment above Marengo Cafe
MARENGO – An apartment above the Marengo Café was heavily damaged after a fire Thursday, according to the Marengo Fire Protection District.
Crews were called to the 100 block of South Main Street around 10:30 a.m. for a report of a structure fire above the Marengo Café, fire officials said. Firefighters arrived to find flames coming from a second-floor window above the business.
One woman inside the apartment was able to exit the building without serious injury, but was transported to an area hospital for observation, Fire Chief Bob Bradbury said. The apartment was heavily damaged, and a neighboring apartment received some smoke damage.
Marengo Café suffered minor water damage, Bradbury said. The fire was extinguished around 11:30 a.m. and is being deemed accidental in nature.
The investigation is ongoing. Marengo received assistance from several area departments.
— Lawerence Synett