The Holiday Gift Auction is Live! Click here and bid now on great local gifts!
Local

Wonder Lake basement fire causes $5,000 in damage

WONDER LAKE – No one was injured in a fire that started in the basement of a Wonder Lake home.

The Wonder Lake Fire Protection District and other area fire departments responded at 2:04 a.m. Tuesday to a reported structure fire at 2907 E. Chestnut Drive, according to a news release.

Smoke detectors had woken the family, and the homeowner was able to extinguish the fire before firefighters arrived, the release said.

The fire started in the corner of the basement when the use of multiple extension cords ignited the carpet and part of the wall, the release said. It caused about $5,000 worth of damage, and the family was not displaced.

– Emily K. Coleman

Loading more

Digital Access

Digital Access
Access nwherald.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more! News you use every day! Daily, weekend and Sunday packages.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Stay connected to us wherever you are! Get breaking news updates along with other area information sent to you as a text message to your wireless device.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Plan your weekend and catch up on the news with our newsletters.