WONDER LAKE – No one was injured in a fire that started in the basement of a Wonder Lake home.
The Wonder Lake Fire Protection District and other area fire departments responded at 2:04 a.m. Tuesday to a reported structure fire at 2907 E. Chestnut Drive, according to a news release.
Smoke detectors had woken the family, and the homeowner was able to extinguish the fire before firefighters arrived, the release said.
The fire started in the corner of the basement when the use of multiple extension cords ignited the carpet and part of the wall, the release said. It caused about $5,000 worth of damage, and the family was not displaced.
– Emily K. Coleman