Take the plunge this January and get involved. Help create a healthy community and feel good about how you are spending your time.
Here are some recent volunteer opportunities listed on volunteercentermchenrycounty.org:
• Do you want to impact Scouting? The Boys Scouts are looking for your help with banquets and fundraisers.
• Volunteers are needed for the 5th Annual Royal Bunco Bash! Men and women ages 21 and over are needed to serve drinks, attend the coat room and help with registration and a PowerPoint presentation.
• Volunteers are needed to help prepare taxes with the VITA program.
• Main Stay would like your help to encourage, enrich and empower individuals through the therapeutic benefits of horses, animals and nature in an uplifting and nurturing setting.
• A Crystal Lake teen program will be in need of a cleaning crew to prepare its new location.
The Volunteer Center has two workshops coming up early in 2014: Thursday and Friday is Volunteer Management. This two-day training is a certificate program that includes topics such as dealing with problem volunteers; delegating to volunteers; supervising volunteers; interviewing, training and orientating volunteers; and managing risk in your volunteer program. It is a day-and-a-half program.
Feb. 22 is the annual board training. This year Dave Sternberg of BoardSource will present two workshops. Board members will look at major issues such as working as a team and how fundraising affects who you are as a board.
He will cover these important topics: How to build a board that embraces fundraising; the current fundraising landscape and its impact on your fundraising efforts; how best to make your organization’s case for support; and specific fundraising strategies.
Here are a few wish list items that local organizations have posted on the Volunteer Center’s website: Art supplies, backpacks, party favors, changes of clothing, fingerpaints and gift cards. Can you help?
If you or someone you know is looking to help the community or are a nonprofit organization in need of help, visit volunteercentermchenrycounty.org or call 815-344-GIVE (4483).
• Rebecca Stiemke is the executive director of Volunteer Center McHenry County. She can be reached by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 815-344-4483.