LAKE IN THE HILLS – A residential fire sent two Lake in the Hills residents to the hospital early Monday morning, a fire official said.
The Algonquin-Lake in the Hills Fire Protection District responded at 1:33 a.m. Monday to a residential fire at 305 Chippewa Trail, according to a news release.
The residents had evacuated the raised ranch-style house after one discovered fire coming out of a bedroom, the release said. When crews arrived, fire was showing from the lower level of the home.
One resident was taken to Sherman Hospital with burns and another for smoke inhalation, Assistant Fire Chief Peter Van Dorpe said. Two cats and a dog also died in the fire.
Crews were able to extinguish the fire, and the house was vented to allow accumulating smoke out of the house, the release said. Crews were on the scene until after 3 a.m.
The fire is still under investigation, and damage is estimated at more than $40,000, the release said.
The Algonquin-Lake in the Hills Fire Protection District was assisted by the Carpentersville, Crystal Lake, Huntley, Fox River Grove, Barrington Countryside fire departments.