Local

Fire leaves $150K in damage

A fire Friday morning left $150,000 in damage to a vacant single-family home, Fox Lake Fire Protection District officials said.

About 4:50 a.m., firefighters were called to 27814 Belden Ave. in Spring Grove – in the Fox Lake fire district – for a fire that had heavy smoke coming from the house, said Battalion Chief Larry Van Hoorelbeke.

Fire then was spotted coming from near the gas meter of the two-and-a-half story house, Van Hoorelbeke said. The fire was under control by 8:30 a.m.

No one was hurt and firefighters believe a water heater malfunction caused the accidental fire, Van Hoorelbeke said.

Firefighters from McHenry Township, Spring Grove, Antioch, Newport, Lake Villa, Gurnee and Twin Lakes, Wis., assisted on the call. The scene was cleared about 9:35 a.m.

– Joseph Bustos

Loading more

Digital Access

Digital Access
Access nwherald.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more! News you use every day! Daily, weekend and Sunday packages.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Stay connected to us wherever you are! Get breaking news updates along with other area information sent to you as a text message to your wireless device.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Plan your weekend and catch up on the news with our newsletters.