A fire Friday morning left $150,000 in damage to a vacant single-family home, Fox Lake Fire Protection District officials said.
About 4:50 a.m., firefighters were called to 27814 Belden Ave. in Spring Grove – in the Fox Lake fire district – for a fire that had heavy smoke coming from the house, said Battalion Chief Larry Van Hoorelbeke.
Fire then was spotted coming from near the gas meter of the two-and-a-half story house, Van Hoorelbeke said. The fire was under control by 8:30 a.m.
No one was hurt and firefighters believe a water heater malfunction caused the accidental fire, Van Hoorelbeke said.
Firefighters from McHenry Township, Spring Grove, Antioch, Newport, Lake Villa, Gurnee and Twin Lakes, Wis., assisted on the call. The scene was cleared about 9:35 a.m.
– Joseph Bustos