ALGONQUIN – A family’s fireplace was the cause of two separate house fires Tuesday, according to Algonquin-Lake in the Hills Fire Protection District officials.
Around 6:45 a.m. firefighters were called to a home at 1300 Kendall Ave. in Algonquin after a report of smoke in the house. The homeowner went to bed Monday night and thought the fireplace was out, but woke up Tuesday with the house full of smoke, according to the Algonquin-Lake in the Hills Fire Protection District.
The four people inside the house at the time of the fire evacuated the home, Assistant Chief Peter Van Dorpe said.
No one was injured.
“We did have a lot of fire in the walls and in the ceilings,” Van Dorpe said. “We made it a general alarm and raised it to a box alarm largely because this is a rural area. We don’t have hydrants here so we had to establish a water supply, and because of the weather.”
Then around 12:30 p.m. firefighters were called again to the residence when the homeowner noticed smoke coming from the chimney. Light smoke was coming from chimney and was quickly extinguished by firefighters.
The first fire was contained to the walls and the roof. The home will be habitable once it gets cleaned and repaired, Van Dorpe said.
A fire investigation found there were no working smoke detectors in the home, he added.
“If this had happened at 3 in the morning, we could have had a tragedy on our hands,” Van Dorpe said. Fire departments from Crystal Lake, Cary and East Dundee assisted on the call.
– Jim Dallke