McHENRY – Two separate fires near McHenry on Thursday night left one home uninhabitable and another with interior damage.
Around 7:15 p.m., the McHenry Township Fire Protection District responded to a house fire at 307 N. Lily Lake Road after a neighbor reported smoke coming from the home, according to a news release.
Firefighters initiated an interior search of the home after forcing entry, and they confirmed the house was empty. Crews then proceeded with an aggressive attack on a fire in the floor of the bathroom that extended into the basement, the release said.
The fire was under control within 25 minutes.
The home experienced heavy smoke damage and was deemed uninhabitable. The amount of damage to the home is estimated at $50,000.
The cause of the fire is under investigation, but preliminary reports indicate the fire was accidental and appears to have started in the first-floor bathroom.
Roughly 15 minutes before crews were sent to the fire on Lily Lake Road, McHenry Township Fire Protection District units were dispatched to a house fire at 307 W. Riverside Drive in Lakemoor.
Firefighters arrived to find a fire in a wall near an outlet. Crews extinguished the fire within five minutes.
As a result of the fire, a hole was burned through the wall. Power was shut off to the building and the house was turned back over to the homeowners.
Officials determined the fire was accidental, and the cause was traced to a faulty extension cord that melted.
There were no civilian or firefighter injuries in either fire.
Weather was not a factor in either incident.
Fire departments from Woodstock, Wauconda, Spring Grove, Wonder Lake and Fox Lake, along with the McHenry County Sheriff’s Office, McHenry police and Lakemoor police, assisted the McHenry Township Fire Protection District on the calls.