Woodstock adds event-focused BYOB license

Published: Tuesday, March 4, 2014 8:54 p.m. CST • Updated: Tuesday, March 4, 2014 11:59 p.m. CST

WOODSTOCK – A new BYOB permit will allow the city to regulate nonrestaurant businesses that host events where customers bring their own alcohol.

The liquor license distinction is geared toward event venues and other businesses that rent out to customers who want to host events with alcohol.

As with other BYOB licenses, the owners of the business are responsible for making sure those drinking are following liquor laws.

"What precipitated it was a request from a local business to host events," said Cindy Smiley, Woodstock executive assistant. "They had had requests from their clients."

Mixin Mingle, on Woodstock's Square, first approached the city about whether its patrons could bring their own alcohol.

Woodstock has two other BYOB distinctions – both geared toward restaurants. The typical BYOB permit costs $200 a year. A "BYOB Corkage" permit costs $400, but allows restaurants to store their customers' drinks over time.

The new nonrestaurant permit will cost $200 a year.

Smiley said she didn't anticipate the new option would change the way nonprofits, who can opt for a special event liquor license, approach their major events and fundraisers.

Instead, she said she thought private businesses would take advantage of businesses who register under the new distinction to host things like jewelry or painting classes that include wine.

"I think that's maybe more what this will be used for," Smiley said.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Northwest Herald.

Reader Poll

Have you ever lost a loved one to suicide?