Jeff Curran was convinced that his fighting days weren't yet behind him.
But a month before the 36-year-old mixed martial arts veteran was scheduled to come out of retirement and fight for Titan Fighting Club on April 19, Curran announced on Thursday he will stay in retirement.
Curran said he made the decision on Thursday morning following a sparring session.
"I am 100 percent done fighting," Curran said in a text message on Thursday night. "I have too many responsibilities as a coach, business owner, father, husband and instructor."
Curran initially retired in August 2013, after losing a split-decision to Pedro Munhoz. In the fight, Curran, who fought professionally for 17 years, broke his hand. Curran said he decided to retire the day after the loss.
But Curran eventually changed his mind, saying he felt he could still be successful and that he hoped to draw the attention of Ultimate Fighting Championship officials. But Curran said in the text message that Thursday marked the first time he had gone through a pad sparring session since breaking his hand.
After the session ended, he knew he couldn't commit to training for another fight.
Curran said he will look to fill the void of not fighting by competing in jiu-jitsu and wrestling tournaments as "he sees fit."
Curran will also continue to serve as the head coach of his cousin Pat Curran, who re-captured the Bellator featherweight world title last week with a dramatic submission victory over Daniel Straus.
The decision to walk away for good, though, didn't come easy.
"It is with great regret, yet great clarity, that I have to continue down the path of being a retired fighter," Curran wrote on his Facebook fan page. "I am glad i realized this after my first day of training rather than closer to the fight."