Today, the word “saloon” carries a bad connotation or most people. In the 1880s and 1890s, saloons were social gathering places for men in search of a welcoming place to imbibe. One such place was the William Wascher saloon located on what is now the west side of Spring Street south of Main Street in Cary. The photo shows William Wascher in front of his newly opened saloon in 1893. Wascher, who was born in Germany and came to the United States in 1871, also owned an ice house on the Fox River. He used ice stored there to cool the beer that the Blatz brewery provided. Wascher, in 1893, was the first person in Cary to obtain a saloon liquor license.
– McHenry County Historical Society