Overcast
33°FOvercastFull Forecast

U of Chicago student died of alcohol poisoning

Published: Monday, April 14, 2014 12:49 p.m. CST

CHICAGO — The Cook County medical examiner says a University of Chicago student found dead in his campus dorm room in February died of alcohol poisoning.

Police found 20-year-old Nicholas Brastins Barnes of Pittsburgh, Pa., on Feb. 15. Authorities say the student had been dead for some time. Results of an autopsy done soon after the body was found were inconclusive pending toxicology reports, which were released Monday. The cause of death was listed as an accident due to ethanol toxicity.

Barnes was found in his room at the International House on campus, which is a residential and program center. He was majoring in Germanic studies and had studied in Austria in the fall of 2012.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Northwest Herald.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Reader Poll

If you had only one day to live, what would you do with it?
Learn to play the piano
Take up ice sculpting
Learn to speak French
Win over the love of a small town
Other