Hospitals are big business today, but in earlier times community hospitals got their start in large old homes. That was the case in Woodstock, where the Theodore Murphy home on South Street became a 15-bed hospital in 1915. In the mid-1930s, Woodstock native Dr. George Bentley provided a large bequest that, along with one from Julia Herrington, allowed the house/hospital to be upgraded. This 1937 photograph shows the results. Additions followed to that building in 1958, and a second and third floor were added in 1962. Today, the building is a part of Centegra Health System.
– McHenry County Historical Society