Fair
64°FFairFull Forecast

McHenry garage fire causes $50,000 in damage

Published: Friday, May 16, 2014 9:47 a.m. CDT • Updated: Friday, May 16, 2014 2:12 p.m. CDT

McHENRY – A lawnmower that caught fire Thursday inside a residential garage in McHenry caused $50,000 in property damage but no injuries, firefighters said Friday.

The McHenry Township Fire Protection District responded at 2:38 p.m., to 710 S. Riverside Drive for a reported garage fire. Firefighters arrived to see heavy smoke and flames coming from the garage and reaching two adjacent houses.

Firefighters prevented the fire from spreading into the homes before working to extinguish the fire from the garage. They had the fire contained within 25 minutes.

The garage sustained heavy damage, while the sides of each house had minor heat and smoke damage. The homes were deemed livable, firefighters said.

The fire is believed to be accidental after a tractor lawnmower caught fire inside the garage and ignited the structure. Fire departments from Nunda Rural, Crystal Lake, Spring Grove, Wonder Lake, and McHenry police assisted.

– Stephen Di Benedetto

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Northwest Herald.

Reader Poll

Does a candidate refusing to debate affect how you vote?
Yes
No