CRYSTAL LAKE – Try your hand at drawing, painting, restoring antiques or even glass painting with continuing education art classes offered by McHenry County College this spring and summer.
The following classes begin soon:
• Unwind with Art: Have fun learning new drawing, painting and mixed media ideas and techniques. Follow the lesson of the day or work on your own projects with guidance and suggestions. Bring a sketchbook and pencils the first day. Other media also will be discussed. Class will be from 10 a.m. to noon Wednesdays, June 4 through Aug. 13 in Room D158 at MCC. Note: No class on July 30. Cost is $155. Use course ID: NFA S10 007 when registering.
• The Art of Drawing – Basic and Intermediate: Throughout this course, the beginning to intermediate artist will draw a still life of fruit using black and white charcoal pencils for shadows and highlights, followed by a landscape using colored pencils and a fine point black pen. With demonstrations and individual instruction, each artist will receive tips and techniques for their level of expertise. Bring a 16-by-20-inch sketchbook and a set of drawing pencils. Pastels will be available for experimenting with color. Class will be from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Mondays, June 9 through June 30 in Room A102 at MCC. Cost is $59. Use course ID: NFA S01 006 when registering.
• Color Experiments in Acrylic Landscape: This class will emphasize developing clarity and contrast in acrylic landscape painting with various color experimentation. Monochromatic, complimentary and tertiary color combinations will be explored to strengthen color use in traditional landscapes. Bring four 11-by-14-inch canvas panels, an acrylic paint starter set and brushes to the first class. Class will be from 1 to 3 p.m. Tuesdays, June 10 through July 1 in Room D158 at MCC. Cost is: $59. Use course ID: NFA S08 006 when registering.
• Playful Painted Flower Pot: Turn a large flower pot into a painted treasure using the one stroke technique. Learn to double load the brush, paint two-tone flowers, leaves and then accent with 3-D paint for a whimsical effect. All brushes and supplies are included, but students may bring their own brushes if they want. Class will be from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. June 11 in Room D158 at MCC. Cost is $29. Use course ID: NFA S21 006 when registering.
• Introduction to Restoration of Historic/Antiques: Learn the proper conservation and restoration techniques of historic, vintage and antiques on a shoestring budget. Projects range from lighting, fixtures, furniture, toys and more. Each class is self-paced and will consist of an informative lecture followed by a hands-on application. During the first eight weeks, students will work on an assigned project to learn the process of restoration and then their own selected project during the last two weeks. Supply costs will vary based on each student’s project choice. Class will be from 7 to 10 p.m. Wednesdays, June 11 through Aug. 13 in Room A102 at MCC. Cost is $179. Use course ID: NFA S27 006 when registering.
• Journey Into “Intuitive Painting” Demo: Intuitive painting allows individuals to travel a private path where they can uncover images of their inner selves through painting. Learn how a traditional artist became a successful “intuitive artist” as the instructor shares an event that altered the course of her life. Painting intuitively has led her into a world without judgment, and opened new doors filled with surprises and new insights. Class will be from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. June 12 in Room A112 at MCC. Cost is $19. Use course ID: NFA S46 006 when registering.
• Glass Garden Painting: Learn to paint various florals, foliage and a beautiful hummingbird on a clear piece of glass ready for framing. Step-by-step instruction will be given using the one stroke technique. All supplies are included. Students may bring their own brushes or brushes will be available for use in class. Class will be from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. June 19 in Room D158 at MCC. Cost is $29. Use course ID: NFA S22 006 when registering.
• Spirit-Guided Paintings: Learn about spirit-guided painting and create a beautiful watercolor painting to take home. Spirit-guided paintings give the artistic insights that bring in visions of peace, clarity and understanding. Students will learn how to allow the painting to move in its own direction and shift away from a realistic way of painting into a type of painting where dreams are born. Different techniques and brushes will be explored. Any experience level welcome. A supply list will be mailed prior to the start of the class. Class will be from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Wednesdays, June 25 through July 16 in Room D158 at MCC. Cost is: $69. Use course ID: NFA S47 007 when registering.
• Whimsical Wine Glasses: Bright colors and fun shapes are all part of this class. Create a set of four wine glasses using the one stroke technique. Learn the process of glass painting and what is required for a waterproof finish. All supplies are included. Students may bring their own brushes or brushes will be available for use in class. Bring a box and wrap to carry glasses home in. Class will be from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. June 26 in Room D158 at MCC. Cost is $29. Use course ID: NFA S23 006 when registering.
To register, call the MCC Registration Office at 815-455-8588. For information, call Tracy Berry at 815-455-8758 or Claudia Terrones at 815-455-8782. For more summer art classes, visit www.mchenry.edu/community and click on the noncredit schedule.