DES PLAINES – Authorities say a suburban Chicago elementary school was damaged in a fire blamed on children playing with fireworks.
Des Plaines Fire Chief Alan Wax told local media that firefighters responding to the blaze about 4:30 p.m. Saturday at Algonquin Middle School managed to keep the blaze from making its way into the building.
Police say they suspect three children – two 12-year-olds and a 13-year-old – were playing with fireworks when the blaze began near plastic crates outside an entrance to the building’s mechanical and receiving room.
A school district official, John Pahlman, said the fire caused an estimated $20,000 in damage.
There’s no immediate word about charges.
The school building was unoccupied at the time of the blaze.