As July approaches, I am often asked this question: Why does the McHenry Area Chamber of Commerce produce an event on the scale of Fiesta Days?
It takes time not only on the part of the chamber staff, but also 350 members and community volunteers. Here are the answers to that question:
• Fiesta Days keeps our dues low. With a large membership, McHenry Area Chamber prides itself on its ability to maintain an investment rate that even a new business can afford.
• Fiesta Days allows McHenry Area Chamber to offer creative luncheons, networking activities, promotional services and member marketing for free or at a low cost.
• Fiesta Days allows great visibility for members. Whether as a sponsor, advertiser, committee member or a volunteer, Fiesta Days offers members cost-effective promotion that is hard to beat.
• Fiesta Days offers growth in leadership. Fiesta Days is a chance to learn communication and management skills gained through working with a team.
• Fiesta Days is fun. Not only for our community but for volunteers who can’t wait to come back year after year to help at Fiesta Days.
That’s why we do it. Fiesta Days is good for the members of McHenry Area Chamber. It does take time, but for those who catch the “Fiesta Days bug,” it is time well spent.
Fiesta Days begins with Music Fest, July 11-13, with Modern Day Romeos, American English, Heartache Tonight, Night Ranger and Cinderella’s Tom Keifer presented by McHenry Harley-Davidson. A bags tournament will be part of this weekend along with the virtual Harley-Davidson ride and Sunday’s Family Fun Day by the Chapel.
Thank you to Kiwanis for hosting Teen Night and to Parks and Recreation for hosting the popular Kid’s Big Wheel Race, Open Track Meet and River Run.
The following weekend, Fiesta Days invites you back to Concert in the Park honoring Parade Marshal Pat Wirtz. Thank you to the city for providing popular band Scottish Lads featuring Larry Leafblad.
The next weekend featured will be Children’s Ice Cream Social, Arts and Crafts in the Park, Drum and Bugle Corps Show, Parade and Sidewalk Sales.
Our new Travel Sponsor, Worldwide Traveler, will be giving away a three-night Trip to Riu Tequila in Mexico on July 14. The trip Includes airfare and transfers to this all-inclusive resort for 2 adults (21 and older). To enter, contestants must preregister at www.worldwidetraveler.net and be present to win.
Thank you to our sponsors: Gary Lang Auto Group, Grand Festival; Meijer, Premier Parade; Mercy Health System, Ice Cream Social; Presenting, McHenry Harley-Davidson; Charles Herdrich, McHenry Bank and Trust and Northwest Herald, Music Fest; Entertainment, Home State Bank, First National Bank, and Meyer Material; WIIL Rock, 103.9 and Star 105.5, Radio; ChiroOne Wellness Centers, Sunday Sports; BMO Harris Bank, Ticket; Sears Appliance Outlet, Ice Cream Social Cone; McHenry Harley-Davidson, Rock ‘n’ Rev Show; Advocate Good Shepherd with Meijer products, Designated Driver booth; Brake Parts, Car Show; Centegra, Mastercoil Spring and Medela, Parade; First Midwest Bank, Arts and Crafts in the Park; Heritage Woods of McHenry, Concert in the Park; and Air 1 Wireless, Communication.
We also thank our volunteers and the city of McHenry. Without them, we could not produce Fiesta Days. For information, visit www.mchenryfiestadays.com.
And don’t miss the mixer tonight at Patriot Estates – keep networking this summer.
• Kay Rial Bates is president of the McHenry Area Chamber of Commerce. Reach her at 815-385-4300 or visit mchenrychamber.com.