Four beaches in McHenry County closed, health department advises
Four beaches in McHenry County will be closed for the Fourth of July holiday due to elevated bacteria levels, according to a statement from the McHenry County Department of Health.
The department tested beach water at all 12 lakes in the county Tuesday and Wednesday and found high bacteria levels in the water at the following beaches:
• Butch Hagele (Hilltop), Hilltop Drive, Lake in the Hills,
• Indian Trails, Indian Trail, Lake in the Hills,
• Indian Ridge 1 South, 4601 N.E. Lake Shore Drive, Wonder Lake, and
• Wonder Woods 1, 5622 Woodlane, Wonder Lake.
On advisory are the following beaches:
• Wonder Woods 4, 5200 Wonder Woods Drive, Wonder Lake,
• Wonder Center, 4100 E. Lake Shore Drive, Wonder Lake,
• Indian Ridge 2 North, 4519-4603 N.E. Lake Shore Drive, Wonder Lake, and
• Morrison Beach Park, 100 Lake Shore Drive, Lily Lake.
Wonder Lake public bathing beaches are also on swim advisory due to recent fish kill in the lake, according to the press release.
Every two weeks throughout the summer, the county health department tests the lakes for E. coli and additional sampling is done when elevated bacterial levels are found.
If elevated E. coli results are determined, the health department will post advisory or closed signage.
More information can be found on the department's webpage.