MARENGO – Artifacts unearthed at a 1867 limestone one-room schoolhouse as well as a pre-Civil War cemetery will be on display this August.
The McHenry County Historical Society and members of the Wilson and Weyland families of Marengo are hosting an open house 1 to 4 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 10, at the two sites.
The Marengo area was settled by a number of families of Scottish descent in the 1840s who came to the area by way of Canada, according to a news release.
The families were on their way to Jo Daviess County to work in the lead mines but reversed course to establish farms along the southern edge of the hardwood forests north of the Kishwaukee River.
The Pringle School, located at 21596 River Road about a quarter mile west of Route 23, has been owned by the historical society since 2002. The Midwest Archaeological Research Services unearthed a variety of artifacts on the school site between 2004 and 2006.
Some of these, including a baseball bat, school supplies, a marble, coat hook and beer bottle, will be on display during the open house.
Stewart's Scottish Cemetery is located on the Ted Wilson farm, 20916 River Road, a short hike from a parking area. The Wilson and Weyland families will have information on those buried there.
The historical society's museum, located ta 6422 Main St. in Union, will also be open from 1 to 4 p.m. that Sunday.
For more information, call 815-923-2267 or go to www.gothistory.org.