Local

No one injured after Crystal Lake structure fire

CRYSTAL LAKE – A Crystal Lake home was left uninhabitable after a structure fire early Tuesday morning.

Responders from the Crystal Lake Fire Rescue Department arrived on the scene around 1 a.m. Tuesday to find smoke and flames coming from the roof of a single-family raised ranch home at 4908 Saggers Lane, according to a news release from the department.

All occupants were confirmed to be out of the home as firefighters fought the fire, which was contained to the second floor bathroom and adjacent bedroom, the release states.

No injuries were reported.

The release also states the fire was under control in about 27 minutes.

The McHenry County Department of Planning and Development deemed the home uninhabitable because of roof, smoke and water damage. Initial damage estimates are $35,000.

The McHenry County Sheriff's Office assisted Crystal Lake, as did Algonquin/Lake in the Hills, McHenry and Nunda Rural fire protection districts.

Occupants were assisted with shelter by the American Red Cross.

The Crystal Lake Fire Rescue District is conducting the investigation, which has initially focused on a bathroom ventilation fan as the possible cause of the fire.

-Allison Goodrich

Loading more

Digital Access

Digital Access
Access nwherald.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more! News you use every day! Daily, weekend and Sunday packages.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Stay connected to us wherever you are! Get breaking news updates along with other area information sent to you as a text message to your wireless device.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Plan your weekend and catch up on the news with our newsletters.