45°FOvercastFull Forecast

Lake in the Hills standoff ends peacefully

Published: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 3:37 p.m. CDT • Updated: Thursday, July 24, 2014 10:57 a.m. CDT
(Sarah Nader – snader@shawmedia.com)
A suicidal subject is handcuffed and brought into custody after a SWAT team was called to assist Lake in the Hills police Wednesday with a person who barricaded themselves inside a residence on the 100 block of Deerpath Road.
(Sarah Nader - snader@shawmedia.com)
Police stage at the intersection of Deerpath Rd. and Oakleaf Rd, on Wednesday in Lake in the Hills. Residents of the area are being advised to stay in their homes according to a Nixle alert sent out by the Lake in the Hills Police Department.

LAKE IN THE HILLS – A near three-hour standoff Wednesday between police and a man who barricaded himself inside his Lake in the Hills home ended peacefully and without any injuries, police said.

Shortly after 3 p.m., Lake in the Hills police found that the man had barricaded himself on the first floor of his home at 111 Deerpath Road, threatening to harm himself, police said in a news release.

As officers began negotiating with him, they discovered that a male teenager also was in the home. They were able to safely evacuate the teenager from the home, police said.

The suicidal male eventually surrendered peacefully to officers without incident, police said. The male isn't being identified until police file charges, which authorities said are pending.

Various agencies assisted Lake in the Hills police during the standoff, including the McHenry County Sheriff's SWAT team, Algonquin police, Algonquin-Lake in the Hills fire department and Marengo police's K-9 unit.

The Wednesday standoff was the second time this week area authorities negotiated with a suicidal subject.

On Sunday, sheriff deputies attempted to convince and take 53-year-old Elizabeth N. Kloss for a mental health evaluation, after being dispatched to the 7400 block of Boston Avenue in unincorporated Wonder Lake for a suicidal subject.

Kloss exited the home moments after police began talking with her, pointing an empty AK-47-style rifle at the deputies. Two deputies then shot Kloss once in the neck.

As of Tuesday, she remained in critical condition at Advocate Condell Medical Center in Libertyville. The two deputies were placed on paid leave, as part of normal department procedure.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Northwest Herald.

Reader Poll

How often do you drink bottled water?