McHENRY – Concerts, book discussions and family-oriented programs are lined up at the McHenry Public Library.
Details and registration for the programs are available at the library's online events calendar.
Some of the programs include:
• “What's On Your Plate?”: 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Aug. 6. A registered dietitian from Centegra Health Care will cover how to design well-balanced meals, provide sample menus and go over child feeding guidelines. Activities will be provided for children age 3 and older while parents attend the presentation.
• History Book Discussion Group: 7:30 to 8:45 p.m. Aug. 7. A group of adults 18 years and older will discuss Robert Wilson's “Mathew Brady: Portraits of a Nation,” which can be picked up at the checkout desk. Registration is not required.
• Summer Concert Series: 1:30 to 3 p.m. Aug. 10. The Limitations will pay music from the rockabilly era of American music, including the music of Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, Stray Cats and Carl Perkins. This program is suitable for adults, teens and families with children ages 8 and older.
• Celebrate Shark Week: 6 to 8:30 p.m. Aug. 11. The library will host an interactive screening of "Jaws," the classic 1975 shark movie starring Roy Scheider. Attendees can text comments which will appear on the screen during the movie. The program is open to those ages 10 and older.
• Contemporary Book Discussion Group: 7 to 8:30 p.m. Aug. 11. A group of adults 18 years and older will discuss Gillian Flynn's "Gone Girl," which can be picked up at the checkout desk. Registration is not required.
• Welcome to High School: 6 to 7 p.m. Aug. 13. The presentation will introduce incoming freshmen to what's to come when they start high school, including high school references, classes to take, getting involved, managing time, study tips and starting to think about college. Parents are encouraged to attend as well. The program is open to those in eighth through 12th grade.
• Classic Literature Discussion Group: 7 to 8:30 p.m. Aug. 18. A group of adults ages 18 and older will discuss Zane Grey's “Riders of the Purple Sage,” which can be picked up at the checkout desk. Registration is not required.
For information, visit www.mchenrylibrary.org or call the library at 815-385-0036.