Fair
46°FFairFull Forecast

Prosecutors detail alleged sexual assault; judge reduces bond

Published: Thursday, Aug. 14, 2014 12:13 p.m. CDT • Updated: Thursday, Aug. 14, 2014 11:54 p.m. CDT
Caption
(Provided photo)
Ericsson J. Gumesindo, a senior at Woodstock High School, was charged late last month with various sex crimes.

WOODSTOCK – At a bond hearing Thursday, a McHenry County prosecutor detailed a convoluted timeline of events that ended with a Woodstock teenager being accused of sexually assaulting a young girl.

Ericsson J. Gumesindo, a senior at Woodstock High School, was charged late last month with various sex crimes. Over objections from the prosecution, McHenry County Judge Gordon Graham lowered the teen’s half-million dollar bond to $115,000, meaning Gumesindo needs $11,500 to be released from custody.

The most serious charge against the 18-year-old is aggravated criminal sexual assault, and because the assault was allegedly committed while in possession of a stolen vehicle, Gumesindo faces a six-year minimum prison sentence. He’s also been charged with criminal sexual assault, residential burglary and theft.

According to Assistant State’s Attorney Dave Johnston, Woodstock police were called July 29 to the home of the alleged 13-year-old victim, who was reported missing. Police were taking a kidnapping report when Gumesindo drove up in the alleged stolen vehicle to drop off the heavily intoxicated girl.

Two days earlier, when a friend of Gumesindo allowed him to drive a vehicle belonging to her father, Gumesindo went into Wal-Mart and secretly made a copy of the ignition key, Johnston said. That car was reported stolen.

Late on July 28, Gumesindo met up with a group of teenagers who went with the alleged victim’s older sister to the girls’ house, where they consumed alcohol before being kicked out by the girls’ father. The 13-year-old was so intoxicated, Johnston said, that her father found her passed out in the lawn and covered in vomit. The younger girl was put to bed and the older sister left with the group of boys.

As they were driving around town, Gumesindo is said to have dropped off the group – including the older sister – on the side of the road and went back to the alleged victim’s house, where he broke a window, cut a screen and took the girl from the home, Johnston said.

The alleged sexual assault happened at a nearby park, when the 13-year-old was crying for her old sister, whom she believed was missing, and drifting in and out of consciousness, Johnston said.

Gumesindo’s defense attorney, Francisco Botto, objected to Johnston’s lengthy statement, saying it wasn’t time for his client to stand trial and that he is still presumed innocent.

Gumesindo’s next court date is Monday.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Northwest Herald.

Reader Poll

What do you give trick-or-treaters?
Candy
Fruit
Gift certificates
Money
Other