State

No suspects in shooting death of Chicago boy, 9

CHICAGO – Police are searching for whoever fatally shot a 9-year-old boy in Chicago's Greater Grand Crossing neighborhood.

Police spokeswoman Ana Pacheco says officers responded around 4 p.m. Wednesday to a report of gunfire.

They found the boy in a backyard. He had been shot multiple times and was taken in critical condition to Comer Children's Hospital, where he died. Pacheco had no other details.

No one was in custody Thursday morning.

Relatives identified the boy as Antonio Smith and said he lived in the neighborhood but not at the property where he was found.

Cousin Kenya Eggleston told reporters the family was struggling to make sense of the shooting, saying, "He was just a child, just a baby, still had a whole life ahead of him."

Loading more

Digital Access

Digital Access
Access nwherald.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more! News you use every day! Daily, weekend and Sunday packages.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Stay connected to us wherever you are! Get breaking news updates along with other area information sent to you as a text message to your wireless device.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Plan your weekend and catch up on the news with our newsletters.