Q: As a criminal lawyer, what types of cases do you take on?
A: At Franks, Gerkin & McKenna, we have experience representing clients in every type of criminal case from capital cases to traffic citations.
Q: What is the best part of being a criminal lawyer, other than winning a case?
A: It is a privilege to help people through what they frequently describe as the most difficult time in their life. Every client’s situation is extremely important to their life and we handle every case with that in mind.
Our clients have the benefit of attorneys with the expertise regularly seen in large firms, but with the individualized attention that is often found in smaller firms.
I grew up in Marengo, Illinois less than a mile from our office. I am well aware of the issues facing the good people in McHenry County on a daily basis and bring that passion for our community to all my clients.
Q: What aspects of criminal law might be surprising to a "layperson?"
A: The importance of your constitutional rights. Many people are unaware that The Constitution of the United States protects basic rights throughout the criminal justice process. A few of these rights are listed below:
· Guarantees a fair process in all hearings
· Guarantees equal treatment under the law
· Provides for a pretrial hearing by a grand jury in felony cases
· Outlaws a second trial for the same crime (double jeopardy)
· Protects suspects from having to answer questions, which could be used against them
· Ensures compensation for people whose property is taken by the government
Franks, Gerkin & McKenna | (815) 923-2107 | 19333 East Grant Highway Marengo, Illinois 60152