McHenry County Conservation District has several activities scheduled for throughout the remainder of the summer for adults and children in various locations.
• Paint and Sip Party: from 7 to 9 p.m. Saturday, July 30, at Prairieview Education Center, 2112 Behan Road, Crystal Lake. Join a local artist from Muse Art for a sip and paint experience to capture a native wildflower on canvas. All supplies and instruction are provided. Each participant also receives two drink tickets at the beginning of the program that can be exchanged for a variety of soft drinks, wine or beer (with valid ID). Fee: County Resident $40 / Nonresident $50. Just for adults, ages 21 years and older. Registration deadline: July 22.
• Drop-in Nature Hike for Kids: from 1:30 to 3 p.m. Wednesday, July 27, at Boone Creek Conservation Area, 916 Cold Springs Road, Bull Valley or from 1:30 to 3 p.m Tuesday, Aug. 16, at Pleasant Valley Conservation Area, 13315 Pleasant Valley Road, Woodstock. Children can get active while enjoying the outdoors on these one- to two-mile guided hikes. Visit MCCDistrict.org for details on how to earn Happy Hiker miles. Just for kids ages 6 to 13.
• Sites Seldom Seen: Kishwaukee Corridor: from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m Thursday, July 28. Tour one of the MCCD sites that is not yet open to the public for daily use, located in the far southwest corner of the county. Visitors may bring a picnic dinner and enjoy views over an abandoned quarry and explore and search an area of deposition to identify fossils. Participants receive directions and the meeting location after registration is processed. Fee: county resident free/nonresident $5. Just for adults, ages 14 years and older. Registration deadline: July 26.
• Weather Detectives: from 10 to 11:30 a.m. Wednesday, Aug. 3, at Marengo Ridge Conservation Area, 2411 N. Route 23, Marengo. Learn about clouds and the ways they can help predict the weather. Make a “weather window” to help classify cloud types. Fee: county resident free/nonresident $5. Just for kids ages 7 to 13. Registration deadline: July 30.
• Everybody Loves a Rock: from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Friday, Aug. 5, at Marengo Ridge Conservation Area, 2411 N. Route 23, Marengo. In the book “Everybody Needs a Rock” author Byrd Baylor gives 10 rules for picking special rocks. Participants will use these rules as they explore rocks and look for special qualities. Fee: county resident free/nonresident $2. Just for kids ages 5 to 9 with chaperone. Registration deadline: August 1.
• Meteor Showers and Summer Constellations: from 8 to 10 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 11, at Marengo Ridge Conservation Area, 2411 N. Route 23, Marengo. Participants will learn about what meteor showers are, when they occur, and how to increase their chance of seeing one. Participants should come prepared to be outside for the entire evening and bring a lawn chair or blanket. Fee: county resident free/nonresident $2. Adults and families ages 8 and older. Registration deadline: Aug. 7.
Visit www.MCCDistrict.org to view the programs in greater detail or sign up to receive the seasonal magazine Landscapes. Registration is accepted online, by phone free programs only at 815-479-5779, by mail-in and drop-off at Prairieview Education Center, 2112 Behan Road in Crystal Lake, or drop-off only at Lost Valley Visitor Center, Route 31 and Harts Road in Ringwood.