Athlete of the Week
Cary-Grove, so., UTIL
Deering went 8 for 17 and drove in 14 runs in six games as the Trojans went 4-2 and notched their 10th win of the season. The sophomore utility player drilled three home runs, including a grand slam.
Deering finished 2 for 2 with a homer, double, two runs scored and two RBIs in an 11-1 win over Maine East. She went 3 for 4 with two home runs, a double, three runs scored and six RBIs in a 17-15 Fox Valley Conference loss to Crystal Lake South.
On Wednesday, she again led the Trojans' offense and was 2 for 4 with a grand slam and five RBIs in an 8-2 victory against Lakes.
Northwest Herald Power Rankings
(Records through Wednesday)
1. Huntley (26-6): The Red Raiders tied the school record for wins in a season, while Tiffany Giese improved to 24-5 in the circle. Huntley won the outright FVC championship and went 14-2 in conference play. Six of Huntley's regular starters are hitting .400 or better.
2. Marengo (26-6): The Indians finished 11-1 in the Kishwaukee River Conference to clinch their fourth straight outright conference title and seventh in the past eight seasons. Marengo went 2-2 and placed seventh at the ICA Invitational featuring some of the top Class 1A, 2A, 3A and 4A teams in the state.
3. Hampshire (22-9): The Whip-Purs defeated Crystal Lake South, Cary-Grove and McHenry, finishing second in the FVC at 12-4. Sophomore Delaney Rummell (Illinois) entered the week hitting .634 with 35 extra-base hits, 64 runs scored, 33 RBIs and 28 steals.
4. Prairie Ridge (22-6): The Wolves have won seven consecutive games and outscored their opponents, 53-13, during the run. Prairie Ridge knocked off Huntley, 7-6, in 10 innings, going 11-5 in the FVC. Haley Barnes hit a two-run home run in the eighth and provided a go-ahead RBI in the 10th.
5. Dundee-Crown (19-12): The Chargers lost to Jacobs, 4-0, but bounced back with wins against Grayslake Central and Sycamore. D-C went 8-8 in FVC play and took fourth. Sydney Ruggles has 234 strikeouts in 179 2/3 innings to lead the area.